Tuesday, October 6, 2009

praha

I am so lucky to be able to squeeze in a couple of sightseeing days before going into our big big workshop. Prague is small, so I was able to have two guided tours. I loved it so much. I wouldn't mind getting stuck in this city for a year! It's not as crazy as the latin speaking countries but it is not as boring as good old Frankfurt. There are so many interesting small shops and tiny streets, the people are relaxed and hospitable, and the prices are way cheaper than in Germany.



The history is also interesting. Prague had at some point the largest jewish community in Europe. The tour guide highly recommended seeing the Pinkas Synagogue which has 70,000 names of Holocaust victims painted on its walls. Children's drawings were also featured in the Synagogue. It was nice. He said of all the Jewish memorials he has been to, this was the best. It was not depressing and the drawings made it very real. There were toys, hair brushes, small diaries, etc. He said Madeline Albright was able to trace back her jewish ancestors on the walls too (now, I think thats one of those tourist info they tell you). (pinkas synagogue)
Franz Kafka
(really, the free tour guides can sometimes get so annoying with their smart-ass quick talking style, no wonder half of the group leaves by the end of it. The best one was in Paris, and Rome.. is Rome there are no free tours!)
(the old new Synagogue)
Prague, I think has also been my most fancy business trip. Prague is not expensive but we went to really expensive-level restaurants and on the last night had dinner facing the Charles Bridge. Just ridiculous! My bosses are the most amazingly humble big bosses and the small team we had was really nice. I dont think I can post pics of the bosses though :) For other sights, I saw the Astronomical clock :) Which was rated as the most disappointing thing to see in Europe. The second one, I already saw was in Munich.. the glockenspiel. Prague is also host to many movie locations. I saw the building where Vin Diesel was jumping off for that action movie he made, the plaza for Eurotrip, etc. Their trams also reminded me of that ethan/delpy movie which I finally managed to finish alive. I also went up the castle, and dont hate me.. My camera ran out of batteries. I bought a disposable one. Pathetic really. I saw the old town square, the old new synagogue (they blame the Germans for the name), Wenceslao square, Prague Castle, Fred and Ginger Building, etc. The russian/czech/english speaking tour guide was too cute. He looks like that granpa in the movie Up. :) He was irritated I had to rush out and not finish his story about the clock, that or missing my free 75min massage, then my flight :) Nohooo.

ciao ciao... next post.. roma and then.. home :)

No comments: